Written by: Zuzu Kelly Perkal
Creativity is everywhere and is within everyone. Whether you’re a fine artist, a hair stylist, a dancer, an accountant, waitress, or pilot; YOU ARE CREATIVE. Every avenue of life requires creativity, it just doesn’t always look the same. As I know this to be true in the marrow of my bones, I have a distinct understand of the difficulty it takes to truly tap into this well of creativity. We’re encouraged to stay busy, to fall in line, to keep your head down, and to get serious. Well, I’m here to say… screw that single-minded thought process! You can be a successful adult and simultaneously fuel the wild creative fire within. Tapping into our creativity allows us to express ourselves, connect with others, and relieve stress.
Discover what it is that inspires you. What makes you feel alive? Is it painting, dancing, public speaking, writing, crafting, sewing, gardening, cooking? It can be anything in the world. You chose.
Here’s some insight on what I’ve learned in life that can help re-inspire your creative spark. Sometimes we just need to relight the torch and start a new project.
1. Meditate & Let Creative Juices Flow.
Meditation is not only one of the best ways to find deep relaxation and stress relief, but it is also a time when brilliant ideas and concepts come into the mind. Spend 10-15 minutes every day sitting somewhere quiet and just reflecting. See what comes up for you, and perhaps you’ll be inspired to start a new project. As creativity is different from person to person, as is meditation. Find what techniques best suit you. Try candle gazing, walking meditation, guided meditation, or sitting quietly in nature or a local art museum.
2. Get Weird.
We’ve got to get a little weird every now and then. I encourage you to do something out of your norm. Go to a new yoga class, join a dance group, whip up a dinner you would’ve never thought of eating, run through the woods naked, or take a creative writing class; the world is your oyster. Doesn’t matter what it is; your weird is different than mine. Step outside of your comfort zone and try something new. Letting down our barriers and thinking outside the box let’s our creative energy flow and can inspire great ideas for your next creative project. It also builds new brain connections and pathways as a plus!
This is my #1 source of inspiration. Whether I spend a weekend camping with my lover under the stars, fly across the world and backpack for 2 months, or purchase a cheap flight to a neighboring state, travel always re-invigorates my inner creativity. Seeing new places, meeting new people, and experiencing a little adventure causes a boost of energy and refreshes the mind. Either plan a trip or go somewhere on a whim. Explore the streets of new cities, sit in coffee shops and meet strangers, spend a day in a local book store, or take a long drive and marinate on your deepest thoughts. Travel will cleanse the soul and reignite your inner spark!
4. Get Involved with your Community.
Research individuals, organizations, and groups in your community that are in tune with their own inner creative spirit. Meet with them and open your mind to new friends and new ways of being creative. Creativity is woven into the fabric of our being. If you feel disconnected from it, allow people to help you reconnect. Don’t know where to start? Here’s some of our favorite local creative groups:
- Almost Real Things : ART celebrates creative exploration and collaborate with people of a unified pursuit: improvement of life through doing. So, do. Make. Create. There is no definition. There are no limits.
- When, Where, What, Austin : Purveyors of Now. WWWATX is our favorite source of events around the Austin area. Stay in tune with what’s going on and be in the know.
- DO512 : Austin’s events and entertainment guide. Do512 keeps Austin informed about the best events happening in Austin every day. And they are some pretty rad people and throw some pretty awesome parties, too.
- Jerry’s Artarama : Not only one of Austin’s best local art supply stores, but also a huge supporter of the Austin art community. They hold classes, events, and art shows monthly. If you’re looking for new art friends, definitely check it out!
- #atxfreeartfriday : Every Friday, art is around the city and clues are given using the hashtag #atxfreeartfriday. Anyone can participate and all art hidden is up for grabs. Create art for others to find and go out and find you some new art!
- Topology: Art studio space, co-working facility, art gallery, and event venue. This is an East Austin mecca for art and community.
- Mindzai Creative: A design studio and print shop with offices in Atlanta, GA and Austin, TX. Brick and mortar located on South Lamar with tons of art and music equipment + vinyl! Monthly art events too!
- SprATX Community Events: If you’re not already signed up for our community newsletter, please email email@example.com to be added. We host monthly artist gatherings open to all. A great way to meet other local creatives!
5. Get Crafty.
Everyone should create art, even if you’re one of those people that always say, “I’m not an artist” or, “I wish I was creative”. YOU ARE! Spend one hour every week creating something. Invite friends over and make it a craft night or spend a Saturday afternoon on your own and get crafty.
Reconnect with the creative part of yourself that has been patiently waiting to come out. Be creative in everything you do in life. These are just a few ways to reignite the flame, experiment with what works best for you. Have fun and remember that creativity has no rules. Get wild.